Plex has full integration on the 4th Generation AppleTV. You can stream all your video and music on the AppleTV today.
Install Plex for Apple TV today and access your Plex media center content from your Apple devices.
Watch live TV on the Apple TV through your Plex Media Server. As well, full DVR, recording, and time scrubbing features are available. All you need is a compatible antenna and tuner, which you can find a compatibility list from Plex by clicking here.
Note: You can only install Plex for Apple TV on the 4th and 5th generation models.
For a full list of Plex Apple TV features, check out the list below.
Plex AppleTV – Features
- Any Format – Support for all file types (well, virtually all), including hi-fi music and video formats. (Free and Premium)
- Available Anywhere – Stream all of your media to all your devices, anytime, anywhere, with the same beautiful experience on all of them. (iOS, Android, and Windows apps require a one-time unlock fee for full playback
- Library Organisation – Organize all of your media–videos, photos, and music–and make it beautiful with artwork and info like plot summaries, bios, and more. (Free and Premium)
- Privacy and Security – Enjoy your media while away from home, knowing your connection is securely encrypted. (Free and Premium)
- Sharing – Effortlessly share libraries among friends to all discover and enjoy even more content together. (Free and Premium)
- Recommendations and Discovery – Enjoy beautifully organized libraries that help you find and re-discover great gems in your collection. (Free and Premium)
- Plex Channels Support – Get online content from various sources, like TED Talks, NPR, Spike, Comedy Central, and Soundcloud, right in Plex. (Free and Premium)
- Remote Control – Use the Plex app on your phone or tablet to control any Plex player. (Free and Premium)
- Flinging – Start content on one device and fling it to another app to continue enjoying it. (Free and Premium)
- Media Optimizer – Create optimized versions of your media for seamless streaming on whichever device you choose. (Free and Premium)
- Watch Later – Save online videos to watch later or recommend videos to a friend. (Free and Premium)
- Plex DVR – Record free broadcast TV channels and watch your favorite HD shows, movies, news, and sports on any device, anywhere in the world. Management of Plex DVR only available on the Plex Web App. (Premium)
- Lyrics (Karaoke Mode) – See timed lyrics to your favorite songs when available. (Premium)
- Cloud Sync – Sync content from your library to supported cloud storage providers to enjoy even if your server is offline. (Premium)
- Mood Mix – Find tracks in your collection based on mood to help you wake up, wind down, and everything in between. (Premium)
- Plex Mix – Kick off playback of similar tracks from your collection at any time — it’s like your own personal radio station. (Premium)
- Premium Music – Enjoy lyrics, automatic Plex Mix and Mood Mix playlists based on mood or similar tracks, and premium metadata matching for high quality art, album reviews, artist bios and more! (Premium)
- Multiple Users – Create customized, managed accounts, and make user switching fast and easy with Plex Home. (Premium)
- Parental Controls – Enable parental controls to keep the kids away from inappropriate content.
- Trailers and Extras – Automatically see high quality movie trailers, cast interviews, and other extras for movies in your library.
How to Install Plex For AppleTV
- Launch the App Store on your Apple TV home menu.
- Use the search bar to search for Plex and hit enter.
- Click on the Plex app from the list of options (it should be first) and then click the Install/Get button. When Plex has finished downloading and installing, it will be found in your list of Apps.
- The first time you launch Plex for Apple TV, you will have to enter your credentials for your library to sync with your main server.