Check out our Plex Media Server download and install guide and get the Plex Media Server installed on your computer today!
Plex is one of the best media server software available today. Pick a central computer which will house your Plex Media Server download – the brains of your whole setup. Your Plex Media Server will store your central library and database. Then, you can install the Plex app onto any of your Android TV boxes or compatible smart TVs, where you can stream audio and videos to each Plex app.
DISCLAIMER (Sort of): You need administrator permission for this, there’s not point even trying to install if you don’t have administrator permissions.
Plex Media Server – Before Installing
Make sure you check that files can be read by Plex. Do this by renaming the files in this way.
[Show Name SxxEyy] Example: Orange is The New Black S10E12.mp4
[Show Name SxxEyy] Example: Stranger Things S02E04.mp4
[Movie_Name (Release_Year)] For Example: The_Last_Airbender (1920).mp4
[Movie_Name (Release_Year)] For Example: Avatar 5 (2024).mp4
Doing this should remove most problems with Plex reading your media, but if it still doesn’t work, let us know on Twitter.
Plex Media Server Download and Install Guide
- Click here to be go to the Plex Media Server download page.
- Click Download under step one, select your operating system, and then click Download again
- Launch the installer you just downloaded to see the landing page, make sure you downloaded the right installer, or it will not work!
- Optionally, click Options and check that your install path is correct, if it is, feel free to carry on, otherwise, you will wanna fix that.
- Click Install (on Windows), or on Mac, you will select to move Plex Media Server to your Applications folder.
- Launch Plex, you will see the login below. If you haven’t yet, click Sign Up and create an account. You may be asked if you want to subscribe to Plex Pass, which gives you offline streaming and access to your Plex library when you are outside of your home network. Read up on that, here, and use the discount codes!
- The first time you sign into Plex, it will tell you it has found a Plex Media Server (your computer). Give it a proper name of your choice, you will need this in the future. Click Next.
- Plex will also automatically add Library’s based on predetermined locations in your computer. I would recommend clicking Add Library and adding a TV Shows and a Movies folder as well, though, this is up to you. Click Next.
- You will now see your Plex library like below, this is currently empty, but you can add more media by just adding the files to the respective folders in your Plex Media Server directory.
- Plex will automatically start to fill up your libraries (Photos and Music) with data from your computer! Your Plex Media Server will be reachable from Plex Apps on any of your other devices!
Hopefully this article has helped you
Of course though, this isn’t the end, remember to also add channels to your Plex Media Server to provide a fuller experience, here are some of our best channel articles: Twitch.TV & VICE News. Be sure to have a look around our site, as we try to post the most latest Plex News in both an easy to understand, but detailed way!
Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook! You can also subscribe to our newsletter (we will use it soon, promise) by entering your username on our homepage! Even consider subscribing to our subreddit. If we missed anything, tweet us.