Plex has announced Plex News for your server, a brand new feature that gives you a personalized world news feed from sources around the world.
December 1st: As more and more users have learned how to setup and use Plex News, the development team has been making some nice improvements to the service over the past few months, including:
- Plex News is available on Android TV, NVIDIA SHIELD, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Android Mobile, iOS, and the web app.
- Content has been adjusted and calibrated so that each category features more content and so that there is less video duplication of news stories in your feed.
- New content from the Associated Press (AP), Reuters, and Low Now have been added to Plex News. The AP has coverage of breaking news and reporting in over 100 countries, Reuters is the world’s largest international news provider, and Local Now providers hyperlocal weather, traffic, news, and sports reports.
- Plex News is faster, with improved overall performance with miscellaneous bug fixes.
- Plex account administrators now have the option to enable or disable Plex News for the users accessing their media library.
Plex News is a brand new feature from Plex to complement your media library. Plex News gives you video news from over 190 global publishing partners around the world. The feature integrated right alongside your Plex media library for a seamless experience.
Amongst some of the sources for Plex News are CBS, Financial Times, Euronews, The Street, Sky News, Hearst, CNet, CNN and local sources for over 80% of the USA.
When you enable Plex News on your media center, you can customize all of the sources so that you get the news you care most important about. As well, Plex will learn your viewing habits over time and will recommend news content that fits your lifestyle best.
To start, Plex News will be rolling out to all Plex Pass subscribers, with others soon to follow.
Plex news is currently supported on Android TV, NVIDIA SHIELD, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Android Mobile, and iOS. The news interface is customized for your screen, which means that mobile watching will be nice to view as well.
Other platforms will soon follow. This feature is ad-supported which means that it comes at no additional cost.